Tuesday 6 April 2010

The Problem with Guys my own Age

I have had just had coffee with an old school male friend and although it was nice to catch up I couldn't help feeling that I could easily be having a conversation with my younger brother. It's not his fault and I did have fun, I think maybe I'm just old-fashioned or a bit of an odd-ball (maybe both) but I like a guy to be a lot more mature than me, to be knowledgeable and be assured in life. I find it hard to deal with the sarcastic toilet humour that so many guys from the ages of 13 to their mid 20s seem to adopt, to me it is just a waste of words.
Do not get me wrong though I like a guy with a good sense of humour and who does not take himself too seriously, in fact I think this is the most important thing. I just don't want to be sitting telling a guy my future plans without him making some comment which belittles me in a second (whether that is his intention or not).
Believe me I am not perfect myself (just ask the ex) I still have yet to figure out how the oven works and I have a habit of collecting things particularly magazines. I always leave my high heels scattered over the floor and have to be fed regularly especially when travelling or I get car sick. Through all this though I still dream one day that a man will except my little quirks. Will listen when I want to be smart and talk literature but also acknowledge when I sometimes don't want to watch a film higher than a certificate 12 because I don't want to see any sex or violence.
I admit I am a bit of an oxymoron which is why maybe dating a guy 6 years older than me didn't automatically help. Maybe it has nothing to do with age but a love of common conflicting interests. Does anyone have any theories: is a guy's age ever a factor in a relationship meltdown? Would anyone ever date anyone younger for instance?
I find love and relationships a very interesting topic, not always pleasant but interesting none the less!

No comments:

Post a Comment